Saturday 16 August 2014

Travel diaries: Barcelona

I recently came back from a trip where I visited Barcelona, Madrid, London, Armenia and Dubai; you may have seen some snippets on instagram or facebook. And when I say recently I mean almost a month ago but I've been too busy getting back to reality and work to post anything sooner.

What I already miss about Barcelona is the amazing Mediterranean feel with its weather, the type of nature and the materials used in its architecture. We spent a great time going to the beach, shopping on Passeig de Gracia, eating seafood paella, and seeing lots of Gaudi's work. 

My advice for anyone visiting Barcelona for the first time would be to make sure you don't miss out on the Gaudi greatness, especially Park Güell and La Sagrada Familia. Walk up to Montjuïc Palace where you can see the magic fountain show at night which I wasn't able to see this time but I've heard it's amazing. Also you can go on the Telefèric de Montjuïc which is the cable car that links the city to the top of the Montjuïc hill and you get to see a spectacular view of the city from the park. 

Personally, the architecture nerd that I am, I was most excited to see the work of my all-time favourite architect Mies Van Der Rohe. Even if you're not a big architecture buff I'm sure you've seen the barcelona chair that he designed for that pavillion, which is one of the most famous chairs and is probably the one that is most replicated. Originally the German architect Mies designed the Barcelona Pavillion as part of the exhibition in 1929 which was dismantled the following year. Because of its popularity though, it was reconstructed in the 80s which is what you find now to the left of the magic fountains of Montjuïc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment and tell me what you think!